UNNGOF is a membership organisation for NGOs in their diversity; both local and international, working in Uganda. Our members enjoy a number of benefits including sharing and networking and collectively taking action to influence governance and development processes that are relevant to them.
Your organisation is warmly welcome to join over 400 of our active members. To determine your eligibility for membership and the benefits please refer to the Membership Charter. This stipulates all the requirements for becoming a member and the kind of membership you would be interested in.
How to Join UNNGOF Membership
We welcome new organisations to join our membership. It is on voluntary basis since not all NGOs in Uganda are our members. However, in an effort to promote collective action and influence, we endeavour to reach out to other NGOs and civil society organisations that are not members but subscribe to the objectives of UNNGOF.
An organization wishing to become a member submits a duly filled out Membership Application Form together with following attachments:
- A copy of the Certification of Registration from the NGO Board;
- A copy of the Organization’s Constitution;
- A copy of the most recent Annual Report
While the primary constituency of UNNGOF is NGOs, other institutions and platforms; that are not generally referred to as NGOs but whose interests are in line with the vision and mission of UNNGOF are welcome to join our membership. See Membership Categories in the Membership Charter.
In addition, there are many other service subscribers to the work of UNNGOF including government, researchers, students, private sector, development partners etc. While these are not members, they are constituencies that UNNGOF provides required services to; primarily aiming to profile the work of members and NGO sector.
- Collective Voice to engage and influence Government and other stakeholders on issues of concern to NGOs.
- Sharing, Learning and Networking through the platform character of UNNGOF that fosters reflection space and open debate on important issues for engagement.
- Representation of members’ views and interests in lobbying for relevant change at national fora.
- Participation and involvement in strategy development and decision making to shape the direction of the organisation. In relation influence decisions on UNNGOF policies, priorities, and actions including attending the General Meeting
- Opportunity to stand for election to UNNGOF Governance Organs such as the Board. Members can provide comment and offer recommendations to the Governance Organs on matters relevant to the activities of UNNGOF
- Solidarity and support from other members and NGOs to stand with its members who may be illegally threatened in the course of their work and promotion of democracy and citizen’s interests.
- Technical specialized advice and support on different aspects to enable your organisation grow and improve its work.
The Membership Team regularly reviews the above Member Benefits to identify new valued products for members.
Member Obligations, Roles and Responsibilities
- Members must subscribe to the Vision, Mission and Values of UNNGOF.
- Members should participate and monitor the success of UNNGOF programmes.
- Members should regularly report on their work to the Secretariat so it is shared with fellow members, the wider civil society and other stakeholders
- Members will abide by the NGO Quality Assurance Certification Mechanism and strive to achieve the NGO Quality Assurance Certificate
- Members must pay annual membership subscription dues.
- Members should be proactive in prompting the organisation on important issues it needs to engage with
- Continuously update the UNNGOF of changes in their organisation